[TowerTalk] Field Day

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 4 16:26:39 EDT 2017

I'll bear witness to the "good connectors, properly installed" aspect of
Jim's post. At this year's field day, the GOTA station was running a 43
ft vertical with an SGC 237 remote tuner about 200 ft away from the
end-to-end dipoles was getting trash no matter what bands were being
used. Then, it quit altogether. A brief inspection showed perhaps the
worst coax connector installation I'd ever seen. On RG-8 sized cable,
every bit of any solder joint I saw was cold as ice. If we wiggled it
around, trash appeared everywhere, all bands, when we transmitted. My
guess is that the same crummy piece of coax had been to every club FD
for years. We concluded that this was clearly a case of local
rectification RFI. It was at the end of field day, so we simply closed
up the GOTA shop. But, I raised the issue with the next FD captain and
gave him a decent write-up on all of what we saw and what needs
attention. Sometimes, it's the things that shouldn't need looking
after... For example, the 10 kW generator at the site donated for our
use FD by the local campus police department was set to 50 Hz for some
inexplicable reason. Anyone with a linear power supply was complaining
that their regulation was very poor. The air conditioner wasn't acting
happy, either. Everything magically got better when we switched to 60 Hz.

Kim N5OP