[TowerTalk] Wire Antennas Only For Field Day

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jul 6 14:59:11 EDT 2017

That also describes our FD group. W6JTI, W6GJB, and I ran 1A battery
QRP, our fifth such entry. JTI and I are 75, GJB is the baby, only 70.
In past years, we've set up on mountaintops, great for QRP, but the heat
on FD weekend caused us to find a much cooler (and lower elevation)
QTH.  We didn't make as big a score, but we're glad we made that
decision. We only work CW (except on VHF); QRP SSB on FD is far too
frustrating to endure. :)

We also try to make it easier on ourselves by doing trial setup at home
in the week before FD, and also work out antenna setups that require
less physical effort. This link shows the neat contesting trailer that
W6GJB built.  The idea for the tripod mounting of the surplus mast
sections came from K7JA. The ideas for bottom loading came from N6BT.

k9yc.com/7QP.pdf

This link shows an 80M vertical that's not much work to set up, but
requires five people, three of them on the guy lines.

http://k9yc.com/80M-FDVertical.pdf

73, Jim K9YC