[TowerTalk] Wire Antennas Only For Field Day

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Fri Jul 7 11:31:13 EDT 2017

I suspect the interest in not sanctioning it as a contest is to preserve its role as an introduction to ham radio.

If it was a real contest, how many stations would let someone whose first response to tuning an HF rig is “why doesn’t the knob click?” sit down and operate? (Don’t laugh. I’ve seen it happen. OK, laugh, it is pretty funny.)

It’s probably why many of the ‘points’ you can earn have little to do with ‘contest' scores, such as points for media coverage, for establishing a GOTA station, for locating in a public area, for staffing a public information table, for originating a message to the SM, for message handling, satellite QSOs, alternative power, educational-activity bonus, site visit by elected official, site visit by agency representative (Red Cross, etc.), for getting minors on the air or for the active participation of a safety officer.

When you see the world through a contesters’ eyes, you see everything as a potential contest. Which is fine, it’s probably that kind of internal wiring that made you want to be a contester.

Field Day is unique in that success isn’t measured by maximum points.

As well, if you made FD a contest, you’d likely subject it to all the same inane, and often nasty, arguments about rules that make many contesters wear out the delete keys on their computers! That alone might be enough to kill Field Day.

73, kelly, ve4xt