[TowerTalk] Coax choice for crank-up - looking for TT experience/recommendations

Samuel shorton at juno.com
Mon Jul 10 15:04:24 EDT 2017

Hi David...I have a US TOWER TX-472MDP and I have 2 runs of Andrews 7/8
hard-lines,one run LMR400 and Belden HD rotor wire all attached to a
1/8"steel messenger cable tied to the top standoff and when I raise or
lower tower I have to walk them out into yard when I work on tower or
storms are expected...Was told I could not do it by some folks but it
works...Its not for everyone but I can tell you it works for me...Samuel

On 7/10/2017 12:15 PM, David Aslin G3WGN wrote:
> I'm putting together a new contest station and have already decided on/obtained LDF5-50A for the 150ft runs to the bases of the two crank-up towers.
> Looking for real-life experiences with cable choices for going up the telescopic crank-up towers.  Seems to me LDF Heliax (either 4-50 or 5-50) won't have sufficient flexibility for the job - the towers are likely to be up/down frequently for neighbour and passing storm reasons. Am I too cautious on that score or is a low-loss coax with stranded core like the Messi & Paolini Hyperflex/Ultraflex series or LMR 400/600UF a better bet?
> 73, David G3WGN  M6O

---