[TowerTalk] 80 M 4 SQUARE MODELING

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Thu Jul 20 13:06:04 EDT 2017

I modeled a 160 meter vertical, 100' tall (it was modeled with wires coming
off the top for 160 match) and a 4 sq for 80 around it. It showed severe
coupling in to the 160 tower from the 80 antenna.

I also tried a 130' vertical - that would have required breaking up the 160
in 2 places in to 3 sections.

Modeling what you are talking about would be very difficult because of the
fact that those antennas rotate. My suspicion is that the antennas
themselves other than acting to effectively lower the resonant frequency of
that main structure, won't have too much of an impact. Its that center tower
that gets in the way.

That stated as others will attest it has been done - and some will suggest
they work very well although anecdotal evidence is really hard to weigh...

Note my model was not using vertical dipoles - it was using the center tower
as support points for verticals coming off the ground for 80. Perhaps that
makes a significant difference.

Gary
K9RX

using a basic 4 sq model (supplied with the ARRL AB) I see just under 5.8 db
gain and 25 db FB.... when I introduce a 135' vertical in the center the
gain drops to 5.16 and the FB to 7! Note also the peak angle of radiation,
the most important factor, goes from 23° to 30°! At THAT angle the gain is
5.46 and FB 10 db.

So it all comes down to what that center looks like overall! If it is
resonant anywhere near it will 'such' energy ... and you'll need to detune
it. Possibly in more than one place!

change that center to 120' and it is 6db and 11.4 db fb
to 90' and it is 5.9 db and 21.4 db FB.