[TowerTalk] 80 M 4 SQUARE MODELING

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Fri Jul 21 20:32:13 EDT 2017

In 1995 I built an 80 meter 4-square with KQ2M design 3/16 wavelength spacing with 4 elevated  Inv L elements about 50’ vertical and the remainder mostly horizontal.  I used the Comtek phasing box and the antenna absolutely kicked butt!  In the 1995 ARRLDX CW Contest, at the low point in the sunspot cycle, if I remember correctly, I had more qso’s on 80 than any other US single op.

In 1999 I put up my 130’ Rohn 45 tower in the center of the 80 meter 4-square and populated it with 3  4 L 20 meter yagis.  The 4-square still worked well but not as well as before the tower erection.  Yes, that is anecdotal – but the effects were clear – the antenna was impacted by the tower and the yagis on it.  I was not as loud as before and the F/B and F/S were not quite as good.  It was noticeable to me on the air in the contest – I don’t know if anyone else would have noticed the difference.

I didn’t bother to model it – there was no other place to put the 4-square or the tower – you do what you have to do and put the antennas where they have to go.

Yes, the performance of your 4-square will be affected by the presence of the tower – but if that is the only place that your 4-square can go then don’t worry about it.  If you build it properly it will work fine and you will enjoy using it.  :-)

73 and gl!

Bob  KQ2M