[TowerTalk] Adjustments to Tower Base Pier J-Bolts

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 22 13:23:15 EDT 2017

If it were me, I'd make some flat plate adapters from 1/4, 3/8ths, or
1/2" plate for the hydraulic jacks to push against. 1/4" should be
strong enough.  Pushing against the threads could be risky.  There are
some mechanical engineers on here who might be able to give specifics,
but heat will weaken the bolts substantially. Still, they "might" be
strong enough for temporary, no wind use. (Engineer input?)

Be careful, pushing one bolt against the other. one may bend more than
the other. Even with bolts that size there is some spring, so you
"MIGHT" need to take them a bit extra.

In the future, people using long rods should consider two templates with
one at the normal location and a second at the top of the bolts.

The "lots of grease and use the bottom nuts to force the template up"
MIGHT work, but it might bugger up the threads.

73, Roger (K8RI)