[TowerTalk] Be Careful With the Tolerance in Laser Levels (Tower base leveling.

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sun Jul 23 09:13:19 EDT 2017

I once asked Karl Tashjian (Engineer and owner of Tashjian Towers, ex
Triex) how vertical was vertical enough and his reply was that +/-
1degree was the tolerance.

Digital or spirit (bubble) level, you should read the instrument, turn
it around, and read it again. If the readings differ, the truth is close
to half way between the readings.  This is most likely not applicable to
your  laser level.

I have never seen a "water level" that had an error great enough to
read.  Further I believe a properly constructed/used water level is
incapable of having an error.  The only error is in reading it.  I
suppose theoretically a long enough water level could have a different
extant barometric pressure at the two ends but I have never used a water
level longer than 300 feet and haven't encountered that or any "spatial
anomalies" or ruptures in subspace. A strong wind blowing over the open
end of a water level could, by means of the Bernoulli principal, cause
an error in the reading. Placing scraps of cloth over the open ends of
the water level (Secure with tape or???) would eliminate the error at
moderate wind speeds.  It is easy to check to see if wind matters.  Just
place your hand next to the open end of the water level and move it
around.  If there is no change in the level reading you can ignore the wind.

Not everyone has faith and confidence in gravity and therefore some
avoid using a water level.  I had a neighbor offer to assist me in
leveling a pad for a house I was building for my mom.  I had a water
level set up but the neighbor and his friend/helper couldn't be
persuaded that it could work and they insisted on using a small bubble
level to which I added a straight board for a better "average" reading.
Of course out here in our very rural setting anything more complicated
to understand than slip-joint pliers is considered high tech.

You can lead a horse to water and you can hold his head under but
whether or not he drinks is another matter.

Patrick        NJ5G