[TowerTalk] Takeoff angle

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Mon Jul 24 08:37:28 EDT 2017

Bob,
SERIOUSLY!
I AM saying I am hearing this. This is not just the result of modeling, which shows indeed that the highest angle will be favored (less often of course)... this is a result of day to day operation ... why would I say otherwise?! Indeed I’d say a good 10% of the time ... rough estimate, the BOP is favored over the BIP! That is HERE, in South Carolina by the way – where I am of course – not where you are or where anyone else is – but those higher angle/distance changes would move to another part of the world if from a different location. Likewise I’d surmise that propagation where you are far north from here would indeed be different... I’m not saying what I’m seeing would be identical to every one else. And I don’t doubt you see what you see...
Also when I had a 3 stack – and that was through the peak of the cycle but it was from AZ (2005 – 2012) I never, not once, saw anything but all in phase be the best on 20 ... last my first experience with being able to select was back in 2008 when I was operating a contest from ILL ... I was operating 15 single ... I had a 5 element mono at 90’ .... and I had, just days before the contest, received, assembled and installed a KLM 6 element 15 at 25’ on the tower (with a fear of heights that was the best I could do by myself) ... over the whole contest the lower antenna was essentially useless... until the last few hours when all of a sudden EU was 10 – 15 db stronger on the lowest one ...
so I’m not sure what you’re protesting. This IS what I’ve seen ... as they say YMMV. Obviously it does.
Oh and as a side note – in AZ I did not have the ability to go BOP. It is BOP that primarily is the best selection here – NOT using just the bottom antenna alone. My experience using the bottom alone mimics yours - although I have maybe twice seen the bottom alone perform better – its only when I am BOP that I see as much as 10 db difference (on a calibrated S meter by the way).
The reason why I brought it up is if considering a stack one might consider going with a matching device that allows BOP ... I’m glad I did. Again: YMMV!
Gary
K9RX