[TowerTalk] Modeling the Moxon

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 27 15:04:22 EDT 2017

My model is the W6NL scratch build 40m Moxon.  I obtained different
results using EZNEC Pro4 with the bottom at 70' and top at 140' the peak
gain of either alone is 10.5dbi and 11.0dbi respectively over average
real ground.  As a stack the gain is 13.2dbi or 2.2db higher than the
140' alone.  This is in line with other stack modeling I've done and in
the range of many published results re stacking gains, practical and
theoretical.

This model's AGT is 1.024 alone or stacked.

My QTH real-time A/B comparison is the Moxon at 91' vs a full size 3L
48' boom at 140'.  The 3L most always wins, lower angle, lower noise
with better F/S and F/B.  Not a fair comparison by any means.

Regarding stacking separation, for two high stacks in the modeling I've
done, near 1/2 wl the gain is pretty much asymptotic to its max value.

Grant KZ1W