[TowerTalk] Experience with crank up towers

Preston Smith n6ss at inbox.com
Wed Jun 7 19:39:44 EDT 2017

Clay

I have Hygain 69 ft and UST 5-106 crank ups here.

In both I route the feedlines and rotor cables internally
with a home brew internal guide system to limit cable
movement in wind. The lines are run away from the towers
underground. This makes for a cleaner looking installation
and is said to provide some protection from lightning
damage.

With this system there's no need for flexible feedlines.
I use LMR600 and RG217.

The only negative is the need to manage the cables when
cranking the towers down or up. With tower down the cables
are arranged in a large orderly loop on the ground. When
cranking up the cables are fed manually into the tower
near ground level. Both towers are in weeded areas of the
property so the large cable loops on the ground are no
problem. Your situation may vary.

Pres, N6SS