[TowerTalk] Yet another used W51 (base/foundation) ??? de K6LPM

w6rgs at cox.net w6rgs at cox.net
Sat Jun 10 04:22:15 EDT 2017

Having read your email and the numerous replies, here's my reply.
I have a W-51 that I got from an SK estate several years ago.  I,
too, thought of how much I could save by making my own base.  Then, I
got smart.  I bought the RCB37/51 base from Tashjian.  I also bought
the personalized installation manuals for the base and tower.  I
followed all of the directions in those manuals.  Even spent $500 on
a county building permit.  The installation was inspected and signed off.

My homeowner's insurance will cover any damage or accidents, because
I installed it according to the manufacturer's instructions.  I don't
have to worry if I used the proper type of rebar (rebar does vary in
quality and strength) or if the concrete was done properly.  There
are some projects where you can "wing it", but I do my best not to
take unnecessary risks by cutting corners.  Cost a little more, but I
sleep quite well.  Your email sounded as if you understand the
dangers of being wrong.   I'd suggest calling Karl Tashjian to help
you make a wise decision.
I wish you good luck.
73  Bill W6RGS