[TowerTalk] Home Weather Station

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 14 13:31:18 EDT 2017

On Wed,6/14/2017 7:14 AM, GALE STEWARD via TowerTalk wrote:
> I'm considering a home weather station for in the radio room. This thread has been discussed before (?) but I wasn't interested at that time.
> Obviously this unit would need to work in an environment of a legal limit station.
> I am thinking that I would prefer a wireless system but I could do wired if necessary.
Wireless products like this run at VHF, typically around 300 MHz, but
can also run higher. Most QRM to/from such systems are coupled by WIRING
connected to sources and victims. This is especially true at MF and HF.
Thus, a system with no wires is FAR less likely to be a source or victim
for operation below about 60 MHz. For most wireless systems, the only
wiring is the power supply, and that ought to be choked anyway to
prevent RF noise on the ham bands if that PSU is a switch-mode supply
(as most are). If that choke is "right" for noise, it will also "right"
for interference from the ham station to the unit.

I have two different inexpensive wireless WX stations (about $30 from
Costco), one for the house and another for the shack. No QRM at all. I
run legal limit 160-10M, 550W on 6M. Specific recommendations for chokes
are in http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC