[TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jun 15 05:56:57 EDT 2017

Do you want a real, worst case scenario which gives you what to expect
for a real wind load and should be sufficient for almost any situation /
installation, or do you want a calculation that will give you the real
load at any speed for maximum wind load, remembering that an
instantaneous gust can cause element, boom, or tower failure? Having
flown for thousands of hours, I can attests that there are wind gusts
far beyond typical or forecast,  followed by almost still air which is
like having the rug pulled out from under you.  This can allow the
element or boom to rebound, with inertia.

Modeling on the face of itis not terribly difficult. However, including
"ALL" of the parameters and formulas can get very complicated

If you can deflect an element any number of degrees and calculate the
wind load the math exists to do that. If you want to do it over a wide
range in real time the math exists to do that as well. It's called
calculus. Unfortunately it takes Calc II (Derivatives and integrals of
trig functions)  to do these calculations which is well beyond most
hams. I haven't used and Calc since I graduated in Dec of 1990  so it's
beyond me as well without a lot of reviewing.

OTOH I seriously doubt we even need be concerned about the finer
mathematical points as perpendicular air flow to the elements and to the
boom are "worst case scenarios". Anything else (with one basic
exception) causes less wind load.

IF the "flat plate" area is used, then you are using a worst case
scenario, with a built in safety factor.  Where it gets difficult is
wanting accurate, real time calculations that give the actual wind load
for any speed and angle.

The one element (no pun intended) is wind induced oscillation, a normal
phenomena as the wind is rarely steady. This oscillation is rarely in
only one plane and can, at times, exceed the typical worst case wind
load for very short ti.  The happens when the element rebounds in gusty
winds

73, Roger (K8RI)