[TowerTalk] Orion 2300

Sam Barrett w5kf at prodigy.net
Fri Jun 16 17:41:13 EDT 2017

The Orion 2300 came to me as part of a package deal with an HDX-555. I hope to get the tower standing up sometime this summer. I haven’t tested the rotator, but even if it does work, I wouldn’t want to get everything up in the air only to have a failure in a week or a month. I have no idea about how to service or lubricate it. I’ve been advised to get a Green Heron controller for it, but even at that, I still need to get a clean bill of health on the mechanical part of the rotator.

Should I try to have it serviced, or should I opt for a complete replacement— possibly with a different model or brand? Is there even anyone who services these?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

73,
Sam - W5KF