[TowerTalk] [RFI] Snap-on Ferrites

kc4pe kc4pe at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 19 12:17:31 EDT 2017

On 6/19/2017 10:11 AM, Chris wrote:

>> Chris:
>>
>> Clarify: When your talking about turn in a snap 0n your referring to the large snap, 1.75 X 2.25 with a .75 opening, not the 1.255 X .75 with a .312 (5/16_ opening..?
> A turn = winding the wire/cable through and around the core, has nothing to do with size.
/*No what I meant, if your going to add ferrite say on a microphone
line: then using a single pass-thru will not work at
  HF frequencys, you must have ferrite large enough to wrap 3-5 turns
before it will work..???*/

So inquiring minds wonder when you buy a printer/TV set, etc and there is a molded Ferrite block on the AC line. what are they trying to block..??

Ask the manufacturer.  I have no idea what mix they are using or what their target choking frequency is.  But I doubt they are thinking of hams and trying to block HF!
  /*Tryed that ..but don't speak the language...*/

>> So when the Ham says .."Hey I got rid of my RFI on my TX signal by clipping on three blocks of ferrite...
Too vague....
/*Say he put it on the line between the mike and radio...or on his rotor
wire...*/

>> And what about the Ham at the show that was selling  ferrite snap ons (small) with a blue and red labels with bold arrows printed on the black label? What coulkd the arrow mean??
No idea what or who you are referring to, can't comment. If there is no
manufacturer listed with the mix, it is impossible to tell what you've got.
/*Right it was strange, but he had documentation that it was Mix 31
...had single pass through with 1/4 - 5/16 pass ....Some had a red
label, some had a blue label, but all had a very bold black arrow ..
*//*Why would you ever orientate a block of ferrite?

  Thanks Again..*/