[TowerTalk] Mechanical weak link in leg of dipole

Steve65 steve65 at suddenlink.net
Sat Jun 24 11:36:19 EDT 2017

Hi John,

In my initial posting I forgot to mention the reason for my concern. The
north leg of the dipole is supported on the west end of my house at two
points. A tree limb falling on the south leg of the dipole would damage
those two supports, the areas of the house where the supports are
attached, the ridge vent and perhaps shingles. So my goal is not
protecting the antenna wire, but, rather, the north supports and roof of
the house.

Some web sites I've looked at say the tensile strength of #14AWG
stranded copper wire is around 130 pounds. So my thinking is to insert a
short length of something much weaker at the south end between the
insulator and the support rope.

This is new ground for me, so advice and ideas are appreciated. What
should the "something much weaker" be? Rope? Fishing line? Other? What
should its breaking point be in order to avoid nuisance breaks but still
protect the stuff at the north end of the antenna?

Steve, K8JQ