[TowerTalk] Lightning Strikes

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 26 09:09:24 EDT 2017

I have 3 towers that are all about 30 ft taller than the surrounding trees.
There is one oak tree approaching the height within a 200 ft circle
otherwise it's the tallest around.  They sit on a ridge with 180 drop off
exposure from N to South on the east side.  Behind them on the West side are
gently sloping climbing terrain that locally peaks about 250 ft higher than
the towers.

I have 25 acres of land with beverages in all directions and antenna/cables
covering about 6 acres (excluding the beverage footprint).

In 12 years, I have definitively recorded 2 strikes on the towers but
probably 10 proximity strikes that have either been seen or created some
kind of induced energy damage to switches.

Its part of the game.

Ed  N1UR