[TowerTalk] Lightening

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 27 00:30:20 EDT 2017

Some data from Concrete Society:

"Moist concrete behaves as an electrolyte with resistivity of up to 100
ohm-m.  Air dried concrete has a resistivity in the order of 10 000
ohm-m, whilst oven-dry concrete has a resistivity in the order of 100
000 000 ohm-m."  So isn't likely that wet concrete is so conductive the
energy dissipated is low and dry concrete is so dry it can't make steam
or conduct much current?  Also consider that concrete is sufficiently
conductive that NEC now requires all residential AC outlets over bare
concrete floors to be GFI protected.

As a composite material then consider how the rebar matrix reduces the
point to point conductivity much more.  (I'll leave it to others to
figure that out). Then consider how much area is in a Ufer foundation in
contact with earth.  In my case, about 250 sq ft for a tower base and
720 sq ft for a foundation. Both are wet year round. Compare to a 10'
5/8" ground rod at 1.6 sq ft of area.  So the relative current density
at the earth interface is 2+ orders of magnitude less for my tower base,
assuming the current is uniformly distributed by the rebar matrix (which
it isn't since rebar has inductance, but there is a lot in parallel).

I think one idea of a Ufer is to distribute (20' minimum length buried
conductor) over enough volume in contact with the rebar so as to prevent
very high current densities.   Codes or policies that require Ufer's
(grounded rebar) for power plants (IEEE), ammunition bunkers (DOD), and
explosive storage (ATF) facilities (& NFPA) were convincing to me of the
robustness of the engineering.  see
http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_4_420_01_2015.pdf as a publicly
available spec.  Some interesting requirements are specified.  Bond
everything together.

So, I'm also a skeptic about exploding concrete being common or a
problem to worry about.  I'd like to see a forensic analysis of
fractured concrete that proved lightning was the cause, rather than salt
water corrosion or improper grounding/construction or urban myth.

Grant KZ1W