[TowerTalk] Lightning

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jun 29 00:17:29 EDT 2017

GENERALLY:  When the spalling (100# chunks?)is on top, or above the
surface, it is due to moisture / water in the concrete. In the case
shown in the first link, that appears to be the case exacerbated by poor
grounding. Inadequate and poor installation. Rerod cage too near the
surface and not connected to the tower, or not sufficiently connected.
Water can get into the concrete a number of ways

It's been my experience, Hams are unlikely to need guy anchor grounding
as typical practice is to break up the guys with insulators, or use non
conductive guys and the towers are connected to the rerod cages. Even a
ring of 3 ground rods should be considered the absolute minimum unless
you have a substantial UFER ground depending on soil conditions.

I don't have photos, but the last commercial tower I worked on used one
inch steel rope consisting of many fine strands. With these properly
tensioned, you could feel no vibration on calm or windy days. The did
oscillate though.  Hit one with a wrench and the very clear tone was way
above middle C. That meant there was some substantial tension on those
cables.

Quite a few times I saw that tower take hits with the lightning jumping
of the guys to ground 50 feet or more

73,  Roger (K8RI)