[TowerTalk] Another Lightning Question

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 11:41:29 EDT 2017

I have a 900Mhz link between my home and remote station - it is approximately 10 miles and not LOS. This has meant that I have had to use high gain antennas, relatively high power and high antennas - the one at the remote site is ~300ft AGL. (The tower is a 325ft former AM broadcast tower so is very well grounded. The base insulator is bridged by a wide copper strap.)

The link antennas have amplifiers a few feet from them, and the antennas have folded driven elements. The coax outer is securely connected to the tower at top and bottom. In 12 years I have had two amplifiers fail, presumably due to lightning. I have not had any failures of the equipment at the base of the tower.

There is no surge protection at the amplifier/antenna, but there is at the base of the tower and in the equipment room. I am debating whether I should try to fit a protector at the amplifier? I guess it shouldn't hurt, but it also adds a failure point and changing the discharge tube is nearly as bad as changing the amplifier - climbers are very expensive - and I would probably have to bring the whole lot to ground level to confirm what had failed.

Comments welcome.

Roger

VE3ZI