[TowerTalk] Advice on Old TV Antenna Tower

Cox, Norman R. nrc at mst.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:40:46 EDT 2017

     There is an old 55 ft (Delphi) TV antenna tower at the end of my house.  The antennas have blown apart in the wind and we haven't used them in years.

      Not wanting to waste a tower already up, I wanted to climb the tower, take down the old TV antennas, and mount a light-weight VHF/UHF antenna.  I got up to the 45 ft level, but decided to come down.  As I would take a step upward, I could see the top of the self-supporting tower begin leaning and wagging around.  There is some rust on the galvanized steel at the top of the tower, but I think it's just surface rust.

Question:  Have you ever known of these things buckling and bending over with a climber?  Or am I overreacting?  With the climbing/safety gear on, I am at 200 lbs.  I have seen a repairman go up this tower 20 years ago.  I'm wondering if the bending and bowing around is normal and I am overreacting.

Thanks,

Norm

KE0ZT