[TowerTalk] MFJ-998 automatic tuner

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Fri Mar 3 12:28:38 EST 2017

I think he just wants to use the highly convenient functionality that is built in.

On many radios (e.g. Icom), the interface cable disables the tuner in the rig.  Pushing the tune button on the rig causes the MFJ to act as a surrogate and everything is automatic - the radio puts out a 10W carrier, the MFJ finds a tuning solution and then radio is told to return to normal.

Some Yaesu rigs apparently don't work this way and use the Tune button on the 998 to tell the Yaesu what to do.  The 998 manual clearly states that there are two interfaces that use the tune button on the 998 - the 5114Y3 (FT1000 and FT9000) and the 5114Y4 (FT2000 and FT5000) and one which uses the Tune button on the rig- the 5114Y (a whole bunch of other radios),

I don't know if the OPs radio falls into one the these former two classes.

Al
AB2ZY