[TowerTalk] 4-square questions

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Mar 6 12:16:11 EST 2017

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 07:43:32 -0800
From: jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions

To my mind, the big advantage of directional antennas on HF is not so
much forward gain, but the fact that they have nulls that can be steered
to block undesired signals.

You can have fairly big phasing errors and the forward gain doesn't
change much (tenths of a dB), but a phasing error can kill the null
depth. I suspect that this is why some people swear by 4-squares and
others swear at them.

## If the 4 sq is used on TX only, any nulls is sorta a moot point.
On a yagi, even with lousy FB or FS,  at least they will have a good null
off each side.  Usually you dont hear of folks with 80m or 40m yagis,
who also use a dedicated  RX ant.

Jim   VE7RF