[TowerTalk] RF in the Shack

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Mar 8 13:04:37 EST 2017

Hi Doug,

You're right that all of the cables in the shack are antennas. Fair-Rite
#31 material is superior to #43 below 5 MHz, but #43 is better above 20
MHz. You're also right that multiple turns through a core make a better
choke at HF than a single turn. You've badly mistaken that a single turn
through a core, or even through multiple cores, is useful at HF. My
tutorial about this is at k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf   About 5 years ago, much
of it was added to the ARRL Handbook, and I'm currently working on
expanding on it for the 2018 edition. That tutorial explains how
ferrites work to kill RFI, and why multiple turns are needed at HF.

KK9A asked about HOW to do grounding and bonding.  Here's the power
point for a talk I've given several times, including at Pacificon last
fall. http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf The concepts were much of
the basis for N0AX's ARRL book on Grounding and Bonding, which he just
finished and sent to the publisher. Ward is the editor and principal
author of the ARRL Handbook and Antenna Book, and for the last dozen or
so years, has written a monthly piece for QST that is often the only
thing in the magazine that is technically correct.

There's also advice about grounding and bonding in the chapter I wrote
for K7LXC's very useful book, "Up The Tower."

73, Jim K9YC