[TowerTalk] square vs round booms

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Fri Mar 10 15:17:33 EST 2017

With a square boom, you don’t have to worry about elements rotating around the boom from the horizontal plane in a severe wind and/or icing situation.  Just to keep it in place on a round boom, you need to use a very large and strong clamp with multiple screws.  A less robust clamp in size and weight will suffice for a square boom.

Having said that, I still prefer round booms and all my yagis have round booms for several reasons:

1) Less surface area on which to accumulate snow and ice, accumulation of which increase the effective surface area acted on by the wind and which will also further increase the weight of the antenna and the stress on the tower.

2) Without snow and ice, increased surface area in wind compared to that of a square boom.  I believe that the physics of the wind acting on a round object are more favorable compared to a square object, so that even with the same effective square footage of antenna/boom, the force of the wind and wind resistance acting on the tower would be greater with a square boom than round one.  If my memory is not correct on this, please set me straight.

3) Most clamps are round shaped and much easier to obtain than square ones which aids in maintenance and the reduces the cost of maintenance.

73

Bob  KQ2M