[TowerTalk] Booms

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Mar 11 10:54:59 EST 2017

For a homebrew large beam I think it is easier to assemble with the
elements on top. It is easy to level the elements this way and connect the
coax to the DE. I use the DX Engineering element brackets on my 20m beams
and the bracket pitches the element up slightly which helps minimize
overall sag. If you use a boom support it will try and flip regardless of
how the elements are attached unless you take rigging precautions to
prevent this. Last week I assembled a Force 12 Tribander in St Croix USVI
and the elements were underneath the boom.  It was a small antenna and
since the brackets were riveted to the boom so there was nothing to level.
Assembly was pretty easy on the lawn except I had to prop it up to attach
the feedline which was only easy because it was a light antenna.

John KK9A - WP2AA