[TowerTalk] square vs round booms

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Mar 11 11:10:32 EST 2017

My 40m OptiBeams use square bend u-bolts to hole the elements to the boom.
 I cannot imagine this easily failing and I would think that it is more
secure than a single hose clamp which are tricky to tighten properly.

A square boom makes it easy to align the elements and ensure that they are
level when the beam is attached to the mast. I use a lot of TIC Ring
Rotators and I am now sure how you would mount a square boom in their
cradle but there probably is a solution. That said I still like round
booms for my homebrew beams. I assemble everything on saw horses with a
level and I use t-bolt band clamps to secure the elements which can be
bolted very tight without stripping.

John KK9A