[TowerTalk] Cubex Mantis II

Barry Merrill w5gn at mxg.com
Sat Mar 11 20:13:38 EST 2017

When I went to Guantanamo Bay in 1970, and became KG4CS,
and ran the "only airline between the USA and Cuba", my
Base Passenger Transportation Officer job, "Barry BiPto",
had an airline that also went to/from Kingston, Jamaica
for our labor force, so I was able to get a JOGA QUAD,
made by Jose Gavin, XE3-something, in Merida, Mexico,
which had direct service to Kingston.
Because it was still only ham phone-patches from GitMO
to anywhere, with no overseas telephone service, any
new ham was MOST welcome, and as soon as my quarters
on East Bargo were assigned, the Public Works guy
drove me to see which of the 35 foot wooden "telephone"
poles I wanted moved and installed for my antenna.

Installed the next day, with a pulley at the top,
using a 1/2 inch line, I could easily raise and lower
the 50 foot section of 3 inch pipe used as the mast.

That quad's spreaders were made of (rectangular, 3/4 inch??)
Mexican Ironwood, with a wooden cube size 10 meters that then
supported outward and upward sloping wooden supports to
optimally space the 15 and 20 meter loops, with a single feed.

Of course, from KG4CS in 70-72 a 4 foot high dipole
worked the world, but that quad was super, and I
thought at least the mounting method worth sharing.

73

Barry, W5GN