[TowerTalk] current balun question

Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H ea1ddo at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 14 09:10:25 EDT 2017

Hi Jim,

I've got a question about those baluns & chokes. Hopefully you can help me to see things clear.

If there is no perfect balanced antenna in this planet, let's say; a 50 OHm (inverted V) dipole with different currents on his arms.

What is the difference between to install a current choke or a 1:1 (dual toroid) Guanella balun at his feeding point?

Same question in a different way is; Is the current choke forcing to balance differential currents?

If I am not wrong, the 1:1 Guanella will balance differential currents, but will do a poor job on common mode.

Choke will (virtually) eliminate common mode currents, but won't balance differential currents.

Thank you very much

73, Maximo