[TowerTalk] current balun question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 14 17:02:32 EDT 2017

Hi Chris,

If your coax is well shielded, there's relatively little need for chokes
like this along the feedline, but you DO need a very good one right at
the feedpoint, and what you describe sounds quite good. If your antennas
are stacked arrays, you need a choke on each antenna, as close as
possible to its feedpoint.

As it happens, I just answered private email on the same topic for OZ7UV
about a stacked pair of 2M Yagis. The general answer is this. Go to the
Fair-Rite website and study these pages. You want a core that has its
resonant peak near the operating frequency. That's #61 for 440 MHz, #31
for 2M. Determine that by studying the impedance curves.

http://www.fair-rite.com/product-category/suppression-components/round-cable-snap-its/higher-frequencies-200-1000-mhz-61-material-round-cable-snap-its/

http://www.fair-rite.com/product-category/suppression-components/round-cable-snap-its/lower-broadband-frequencies-1-300-mhz-31-material-round-cable-snap-its/

2631102002 is resonant at about 200 MHz, 2643102002 at 300 MHz, so this #31 core would be the better choice on 2M. You can see these curves by clicking on the part number in each table.

73, Jim K9YC