[TowerTalk] W2AU Baluns??

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Mar 16 15:34:05 EDT 2017

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:24:24 +0000 (UTC)
From: Tom_N2SR <tom_n2sr at yahoo.com>
To: Towertalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W2AU Baluns??

And similar to issues I have had with Radioworks "baluns." ??
Tom, N2SR

##  radio works has no clue how to build a balun.  Dunno if they are
still in business or not,  firefox sez their site is bad news and  I cant get to it
anyway.   radio works used a piece of  58-U with a few beads on the coax,
wrong beads, loads of bad soldering, water ingress, you name it.  Then
they had the audacity to rate it for 1.5 kw CCS  RTTY.

## unadilla  and their....  W2AU big signal baluns.... loads of lousy reviews,
at least 13 of em blown to bits here in town over the years.  I smoked 3
of the old hy-gain BN-86 baluns, turned to charcoal.
The telrex box balun was more junk   Then along comes Mosely who still claims
you dont even require a balun, and just direct feed it with 52 ohm coax..sez so,
right in the 1957 ARRL handbook. .  Their traps are the greatest thing since 1953.
They have not made 52 ohm coax since 1971.   Loads of TA-33 jrs here in town
with melted traps.

##   The W2DU balun got a bad rap since everybody and their dog started stuffing beads
over 58-U, stuffed it all into a  short piece of home depot PVC  tube, and sold em.  It was
the one small business that anybody could get into.

##  balun designs seems to have it figured out...as does    Myantennas.com

Jim  VE7RF