[TowerTalk] Beverage

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Mar 17 19:45:36 EDT 2017

On Fri,3/17/2017 4:05 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> Even with insulated wire which most of us use?

I first rigged my Beverages with electric fence post insulators. Within
a few years, only a few insulators still held the Beverages in position.
Insulators fell off, the 400 ohm twin-lead fell off the insulators, etc.
The Beverages mostly lie over high brush and a few tree limbs, and are
held up in some places by the PVC pipe over rebar. They've been in place
nearly 10 years now. Every few years a limb, branch, or even a tree
falls on one of them. A couple of times it's pulled the Beverage wire
off the termination box. Most of the time it just causes it to droop a lot.

No, insulators are NOT required where the wire contacts a tree. Night
before last, one of them heard 5U5R well enough for me to work them from
near San Francisco.

73, Jim K9YC