[TowerTalk] TriEx towers misc

Gene K5GS k5gs at arrl.net
Sun Mar 19 18:51:18 EDT 2017

I was surprised to see the comments from k2qbv embedded in a Tower Talk
posting. He seems to have left out key details about the First Call -
Will-Burt debacle.  For many years First Call Communications advertised
in QST, they had a good reputation.

Here's my experience with First Call Communications shortly before they
went out of business:

1. First Call Communications took my deposit for Tri-Ex LM-470 tower.
2. Per the sales contract a second payment was due after the initial
order. A final payment was due when the tower shipped.
3. Subsequently, my credit card was charged for the 2nd and final
payments, but no tower was ever shipped, all I received was and endless
stream of excuses.
4. When I finally lost my patience with First call I met k2qbv at his
favorite restaurant in White Plains, NY LaManda, it was a good meal (he
bought).
5. I was advised to file a complaint with MasterCard and the entire
amount charged, over $6,000, would be refunded by MasterCard.
6. After an investigation MasterCard refunded the money.
7. The FBI became interested when mail fraud complaints hit their
radar.  I don't recall the exact number, but it was quite high. The FBI
asked me to provide them with my files and timeline. A Case File was
created and per FBI instructions it was turned over to my local sheriff
for his filing and forwarding to the FBI.
8. Those that already planted an early ship Tri-Ex LM-470 base needed a
new strategy. If my memory is correct there were 16 early ship bases in
the ground. My strategy, with the help of a professional engineer and a
local fabricator, was to design and build an adapter plate for a UST
HDX-572. $1,600 later it worked perfectly and was up for 15 years before
I took it down in May, 2016 to relocate.
9. Will-Burt said they would design an adapter plate to fit their LM-470
to the Tri-Ex manufactured base, didn't happen.
10. I knew that First Call was in litigation with Will-Burt. First Call
said they would try to cover some of the cost for the adapter plate,
that never happened.
11. First Call went out of business and all that remains is a very thick
case file and bad memories of dealing with these 2 companies.

The above is from memory.  I'd be happy to share some of my files with
k2qbv if he needs a refresher.

It wasn't much longer after we installed the UST HDX-572 that I saw ads
for the Tashjian Towers product line.

Both Tashjian and Will-Burt make good products, but it seems Will-Burt
didn't understand the amateur market and had a really bad experience
with this attempt to enter a new space.

Now you know the other side of the story, from a customer caught in the
middle.

73,
Gene K5GS