[TowerTalk] digging radials

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Mar 20 02:46:47 EDT 2017

There are a number of ways to lay out radials, bury them just under the
surface without going to lot of expense, particularly if you don't have
a lot of stones.
One problem with laying the wire on the surface is the tendency of some
wire to curl up.  Stretching usually works.

The edger is a relatively inexpensive approach, but still requires
placing the wire in the trench. The addition of a narrow slotted wheel
is a "relatively simple" addition to add to the edger and simple to
build to pull behind a yard tractor.  Just soak the soil where the
radials go the night before.

Another approach would be a cutter that works similar to a plow, but not
as messy. Run a tube down the back side to plant the wire.  Use a skid
plate to set the depth

The only limits are your imagination and metal working skills.
If you have the imagination, but not the skills or equipment, draw one
up and have a local welder make one
He could probably make one up, just knowing what you want to do and the
height of the hitch above ground.

IE:  I want something relatively simple to pull behind my yard tractor
that will plant a wire a quarter inch to an inch deep. the hitch is 10"
above ground (or what ever the actual height) It could be made/cut from
1/4" steel plate. A simple spreader could be added for burying coax.

I see no real reason for burying the radials deep.

73,  Roger (K8RI)