[TowerTalk] digging radials

Phillip Zminda phil-z at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 10:01:49 EDT 2017

I have a vertical with 60 radials installed over time. All were staked to the ground with DX Engineering radial stakes or the U-shaped landscape cloth pins. I even use a few home-brew stakes made from coat hangers. I spaced the stakes about every 6 or 8 feet. The grass completely grows over the wire in a few weeks. This is the ideal time of year to do it, before the grass really starts growing. I don’t think it’s necessary for radials to much deeper than just under the grass.

I also recommend the DXE radial wire. It doesn’t have memory like the wire spools from Home Depot and is easier to lay straight.

I have an edger attachment for my roto-tiller and tried making slits before using the stakes but i found it hard to hold a consistent depth and follow a straight enough line.

Phil N3ZP