[TowerTalk] Yaesu G2800 rotor issue

Bruce Meier bemeier at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 19 21:36:40 EDT 2017

One problem fixed but another problem surfaced.

A few weeks ago one of my G2800s decided to stop rotating.  It is paired
with a Green Heron control and the pair work very well together.  I quickly
isolated the problem to the rotor so a trip up the tower would be required.
Unfortunately, the rotor had to be removed and brought down to the work
bench.  If you have not taken a G2800 apart, and if you ever need to, make
sure you have some method of catching all the ball bearings as they fall out
when you separate the top and bottom sections of the rotor.  To quickly jump
forward, the problem turned out to be a lose set screw that held a gear to
the motor shaft.  The shaft would spin but the gear did not.  That was easy
to fix and then I put the rotor back together, aligned and reinstalled it on
the tower.

Fast forward.   Now that it is back on the tower and aligned with the Blue
Heron all is well - almost.  Recently we have had some strong winds.  The
wind causes the rotor and antennas to turn.  This morning I turned on the
Blue Heron controller it indicated the antenna was pointing at 165 degrees.
When I shut it down yesterday afternoon it was at 45 degrees.   I moved the
control knob so the antenna would turn to 35 degrees.   It moved - stopped
exactly at 35 degrees as measured with a compass.  So - the rotor is turning
(gears inside?) and not the mast / antennas slipping.

I have (2) G2800s, (2) G1000s and (1) G450 and this is the only rotor that
wind causes the rotor to turn.

Anyone have any suggestions what might be going on here?

73,

Bruce - N1LN