[TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Mar 22 13:49:34 EDT 2017

I would not recommend the Carolina Windom as I had one literally fall
apart due to UV degradation of the PVC DMU (feedpoint) housing here in
Florida.

Look for a product with a QUALITY *balanced* common mode choke at the
feedpoint and be prepared to find another antenna for 60, 30, 17 and/or
15 meters as the standard OCF antenna is not well matched on those
bands unless the feedpoint "matching unit" has significant losses.

Some "playing" with the feedpoint position may help with adding bands
to the typical 80/40/20/10 line up.  See W8JI's work:
    https://www.w8ji.com/windom_off_center_fed.htm

If you are capable of making your own high quality (Rutheroff style)
4:1 "balun" to handle the desired power level, it may be practical
to make your own W8JI 80/20 OCF for 80/40/30/20/15/12/10 meters.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV