[TowerTalk] Gen Pole 10ft x 2in OD mast pipe

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Mar 24 21:20:36 EDT 2017

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:03:51 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gen Pole 10ft x 2in OD mast pipe

The steel used for electrical conduit, even heavy-wall, is not designed
for mechanical strength, and is probably a poor choice for use as a gin
pole.

73, Jim K9YC

On Fri,3/24/2017 12:51 PM, Ed Stallman wrote:
> I was looking at EMT but I see the wall thickness is .065

## agreed, EMT is  junk for a gin pole.  BOTH steel + aluminum CONDUIT
are designed to be easily bent, with a bender.

##  2 inch OD aluminum with a .24 or .250 wall is ideal...and will handle Rohn 55..just.
Local pro installer here in town uses  2.5 inch OD..heavy wall   6061-T6.

## what else    that will work is IPS aluminum pipe, like 1.9 OD  x sched 80...  which has a
.200 wall.   (sched 40 has a .145 wall... not strong enough).  6061-T6

## 2.375 od  IPS aluminum pipe in sched 80 is  .218 wall.     6061-T6

## Use the right pole for the job, too dangerous using junk, or thin walled material, which
will fatigue and fail.... and typ when the tower is partially installed.

Jim  VE7RF