[TowerTalk] Cheap Hams

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sat Mar 25 16:25:44 EDT 2017

I don't think you realize how razor thin the margins are in ham gear.  I
worked at HRO Denver for a long time and the margins on radios is in the
dollars range.

I am sure that DXE has better margins on their name band labels,
accessories and aluminum etc.

On the other hand is the tree/plant market where the markups are in the
400 to 500 percent...Yes 4 to 5 times cost if not more so a 10 percent
coupon is a no brainer.

I agree with you that nearly every ham website is awful compared with
other retail sites.  DXE website is ok but I have run into some weird
things and the searching is awful.  HRO updated recently but it is still
meh and their catalog other than color has not really changed much.
Maybe they subscribe to the if it is working don't fix it theory?

The problem is that old farts like us are driving those ham sites and
they are not hiring or getting the advice of the younger generation on
what the sites should look and feel like.  But then again we do nothing
to attract people to the hobby, especially young people so maybe they
are just riding it out.

W0MU