[TowerTalk] Gen Pole 10ft x 2in OD mast pipe

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Mar 26 05:29:57 EDT 2017

A few years back, I built a Gin pole using chain link fence galvanized
top rail.  I tested several, but found a 1.5" that was able to easily
lift 2 sections of 45G at once. I used a 16' length to assemble my 45G
(one section at a time and install the antennas. It was very strong and
a bit "springy", but when used properly was more than satisfactory.
I used two homemade clamps to give the pole a rigid connection to the
tower. Height was easily adjustable.    I used an offset swivel arm at
the top witha a pulley at the top[ of the pole, the rope attached to the
end of the arm and a free pulley on the rope between the mast pulley and
end of the arm anchor for a 2:1 ratio.  It took little effort for one
man to pull the tower sections and antennas up. Wall thickness was
around 3/32nds. It was surprisingly strong.

If going this route, I'd test the sections for strength as I don't know
if they adhere to any standard.

73, Roger (K8RI)