[TowerTalk] Fwd: OCFD

HansLG at aol.com HansLG at aol.com
Sun Mar 26 13:17:08 EDT 2017

Hi Jim,

Everything has a capacitance to somewhere. Even Mother Earth has a
capacitance. You can select what reference point you like, Moon, Sun, Pluto. I
never really grasped it myself when I took my classes in physics.

Anyhow, there is a distributed capacitance along the dipole wires that get,
 what's called, end-effect. That's why you don't cut the dipole to exactly
1/2  wave length but a little shorter, most around 95%.

We all, I hope, know that the voltage is highest at the tips of the dipole
(or 1/4 wave verticals for that matter). That's why you put a good
insulator at  the dipole ends, not just a non-conducting cord (what might catch fire
a rainy  day).

Just my dime to the conversation,

Hans - N2JFS

____________________________________

## BTW,  when you mentioned dipoles etc, having all their voltage at the
tips,as
a  result of capacitance,  capacitance between what and what ?    Is it
capacitance
between the tips, like in an arc ?    I cant  see it being C to ground
below.  What
if the dipole is in outer space  ?

Jim   VE7RF

TowerTalk  mailing  list