[TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Mar 27 17:09:30 EDT 2017

For what it is worth WD-40 was developed for Water Displacement hence
the WD. The 40 is because it was the 40th candidate mixture tried before
one worked, hence WD-40.  Lots of people think it is magic in a can but
it isn't. Its lubricative qualities are short lived as the ingredients
are fairly volatile and just evaporate. While a terrific product for its
intended use and some others, long term lubrication and or rust
preventative are not among them.

I did see an angler spray WD-40 on his catfish bait after each time he
caught a fish.   He was hauling them in one after another in rapid
succession. (Yes really, not a joke.)

Another data point:  a university tested several solutions (including
WD-40) sold and or used for penetrating oil, including high dollar stuff
marketed to high end machine shops and the outstanding winner besting
all mother materials was 50% acetone and 50% ATF.

Patrick        NJ5G