[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: OCFD

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 17:36:26 EDT 2017

 Thank you, Rick,

I want to remember 700uF to be the answer, but how do you explain "to free space"? Even if I am a physicist I can't really explain it. You might say that the Earth has a charge that generate an electric field around it, a field that could deflect electric charged particles approaching the earth. Now I am getting too theoretical. Let's stop here.

The point is that the dipole has a capacitance, popularly called "end effect" that detune the dipole to a lower frequency. The thicker the wire the lower the frequency. The strange part to me is that it doesn't matter how thin the wire is, there is always an end effect that lower the frequency from the "ideal" dipole.

Hans - N2JFS