[TowerTalk] 80 Meter beam

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:43:59 EDT 2017

I have a 2-element 80 meter wire beam, with inverted-vee elements. The
boom length is 34 feet. The first thing to be aware of is the very
narrow bandwidth. About 60 kHz between 2:1 SWR points, and the SWR
shoots up rapidly beyond those points. This means you will only be able
to cover a small portion of the useful 3600-3850 phone band without
having to retune your matching network.

Consider the 2-element parasitic array, using a director, described in
the ON4UN book, "Other Arrays" chapter. This design gives you
directional reversibility, which has proven to be very useful. I have
mine cut for the CW band, with the director tuned for resonance around
3600. This means that on the phone band, the director becomes a
reflector. Of course, the feedpoint impedance is a little screwy in the
phone band, but that is taken care of with the feedpoint matching network.

If you are using open wire feeders, consider running 1/2 wavelength,
open wire feeders from each element to ground level. Some ideas on doing
this can be garnered from the K6NA design, in the ARRL Antenna
Compendium, Volume 5.

73,
Steve, N2IC