[TowerTalk] Dacron rope as an insulator

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 31 18:57:06 EDT 2017

A couple of problems with dacron (which may really be polyester)

1. stuff grows on it, my Synthetic Textile lines slowly turn moldy,
faster than in CA, slower than some of the knockoffs.  Probably a better
conductor as a result.

2. stretch - expect about 3% at 20% of break strength

Very good dacron/polyester such as New England Ropes Sta-Set is
prestretched so has less initial stretch, but still has prob 2.

Dyneema and Kevlar core lines have 1% stretch at 20% of load, but still
have problem 2

I can't find any Phillystran specs for the current stuff that works with
grips.  When I test stand measured the parallel strand "old style" it
was within a few percent of the raw kevlar tensile modulus of elasticity
- essentially zero stretch: 16e6 modulus vs steel at 30e6 psi.  (NCJ
Nov-Dec 2014)  I expect since the new Philly has twist it will stretch a
bit more, but not as much as braided dacron/polyester etc.

I think an 80m dipole antenna will be slightly influenced by a big grip
electrically connected at the truss attach point.  An easy thing to model.

All of my trusses are Philly.

Most every guy material is not expected to by subjected to more than 40%
of break strength.  Even EHS.  Almost everything that can be bent starts
to permanently stretch at that tension.

Grant KZ1W