[TowerTalk] Andrews AVA7-50, N or DIN?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu May 4 20:16:15 EDT 2017

I'd recommend DIN's for where you can get them cheap, maybe not yet for
the AVA cables.  Plenty available for LDF series. Then again you
probably have to use a DIN for AVA7.   An N connector looks pretty
stupid on AVA7 and mechanically is stressed by the stiff AVA.   Be aware
the LDF DINs don't work on AVA.  Also, AVA is not connector installer
friendly, borrow some tools or get somebody to do it that does it for a
living.

I used F-F DINs for all bulkheads and on the up the tower runs LDF4/5,
then DIN-N adapters to Buryflex N's for the rotator pigtails and LMR400
DIN to UHF jumpers for entrance panel to switches and also for at tower
stack match UHF to dog house entrance panel F-F DINs.  I bought the
LMR400  DIN - PL259 jumpers made to my length spec from an ebay supplier.

N's for FSJ4-50 seem a reasonable choice.  UHF is harder to find.

There isn't much better than Buryflex for a rotator loop where stranded
center conductor is a must and a tough jacket is a real plus.

Inside the shack from switches or matches to amp, a lower loss coax can
be used as there is very infrequent flex.

Build a spread sheet of the entire run from amp to driven element with
type of coax and loss per foot for the appropriate band.  My goal was
under 1db and calculations got to around 0.8db for all runs by choosing
the coax based on the loss needed.

It makes no sense to spend many thousands for antennas, towers, amps,
and rotators and then cheap out on the coax.

Grant KZ1W

"A few tenths of a db here and there and pretty soon there is a 3db loss."