[TowerTalk] Rebar Cage for Foundation

Shawn Donley n3ae at comcast.net
Fri May 5 19:54:29 EDT 2017

Here's what I did.  I found a local company that would supply, cut and bend the rebar per the cage design specs.  They had the professional machinery to do this properly and accurately.  That's the hard part.  Took it all home in my pickup truck and put it together on-site using conventional rebar wires ties.   I did order several pieces of small diameter rebar and tied them on as diagonals on each side to provide rigidity and have the cage hold it's shape.  Had the backhoe guy lower it into the hole after excavation, laying it so that each vertical rebar was on thick concrete pavers to keep the rebar from touching dirt (a bad thing which will cause the rebar to rust, expand and fracture the concrete).  Also want at least 3.5 inches between the cage and the dirt sidewalls for the same reason.

Good luck with your project.