[TowerTalk] FW: FW: Replacement worm gear box for TX-472 motorized tower...

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Sat May 13 14:47:07 EDT 2017

Hi Bob – that’s some great information & if OK I’ll echo some similar experience.  Just a word of caution to the readers on the reflector - be careful ordering KP8 bearings off of ebay – I have five here at my desk that I bought some years ago and was shipped KS8’s which are spherical construction and allow the axis of the inside race to pivot along two degrees of freedom – useless for tower cable pulleys.    Guess I need to resell them to someone who needs them.

Regarding roughness –I have had a few pulley bearings which would not rotate smoothly because the balls/races either had grit and/or solidified grease in them and/or they had become pitted from excessive corrosion.  One tower I acquired from an estate apparently had been sitting unused for a very long time (the cables were quite corroded).   I had some luck washing the bearings out really thoroughly with solvent in the parts washer until they were able to spin quite freely – albeit with some remaining roughness.   When re-lubed afterwards,  they worked fine for the relatively slow speed hoisting application.   There were two, however, that were so rough they would still bind or hang suddenly when spun by hand at high speed after cleaning & I didn’t feel comfortable reusing them so I replaced them.   Houston Bearing & Supply here in Houston was able to find suitable replacements for the KP8’s via special order.  The side shields were a little different but they work just fine.  Cost was about $20 each I think around 5 years ago.  If I can find the receipt that shows the mfg. & part number of the replacement bearings I’ll post that information here later.

FYI for any tower talkers that are needing to re-cable towers and inclined to DIY - cable crimping tools, bulk cable, cable eyes, & crimp sleeves are quite economical compared to the cost of pre-assembled replacement cables.  I use copper crimp sleeves (as opposed to aluminum).  Be sure to always triple crimp & verify your crimps are good with a “go-no go” gauge when completed.  Suggest to buy a crimping tool  that includes this gauge.   Also beware of cheap Chinese cable… I made the mistake of doing this once and had to recable the tower again less than a year afterwards….  get your cable from a reputable dealer.

As always, hope this info is of use to others.

73

Matt

KM5VI