[TowerTalk] Rebar or no rebar

Mike Ricketts mike.nd9g at gmail.com
Sun May 14 19:41:07 EDT 2017

I've recently acquired an older (mid 90s) Universal Tower, very similar in
specs to their current HD-21-60.

Looking at the plans, the foundation (5x5x6) calls for only the 3 base
legs, and no rebar is specified.
http://universaltowers.com/pdf/HD_models/05-model%23-hd-21-60.pdf

Knowing K7LXC's advice to not do anything the manufacturer doesn't say, I
would be inclined to leave out the rebar.

However, both the city inspector and my concrete contractor both suggested
to add some rebar. The city won't decline it without it, he just advised
it. I was thinking about doing a very basic cage using 4 foot pieces of
rebar. I won't need anything fancy like some manufacturers require. Since
this is the place with many experts, I wanted to see what you folks thought
about it.

Thanks.

73,
Mike ND9G